Honoring our Founding Executive Director
A letter from our Board Chair, Robert Taylor
When Patricia Cross opened the doors of Rejoice School of Ballet 21 years ago, she was following God’s call to her to start an excellent classical ballet school for children in Nashville who could not afford this expensive training. In 1998, Patricia taught ballet to 10 little students in a small church in East Nashville. When she saw how proud and beautiful the students were when they stepped up to the barre she knew she had to create a program for these children. Rejoice officially opened its doors in the summer of 2000 to 14 students.
Since that first year, Rejoice has:
- Served more than 2,500 students
- Hosted more than 100 student performances
- Provided more than 2,500 leotards and shoes to students
- Created 5 original ballets
- Staged and performed 8 different classical ballets
- Sent more than 75 students to perform in Nashville Ballet’s Nutcracker
- Graduated 3 dancers on full scholarship to the Nashville Ballet Academy
- Implemented the American Ballet Theatre curriculum with more than 60 students passing with honors.
But that’s not all Rejoice has accomplished in 21 years under Patricia’s leadership. All Rejoice students have had access to programming focused on spiritual formation, health and nutrition, diversity and life skills. Our professional faculty have mentored and encouraged dancers. Our community has been an example of how to provide access and equity in the arts in Nashville.
On July 31 Patricia will retire as Founding Executive Director and we want to honor her years of faithful service.
Patricia created a legacy, but we know there is still more we can do. We want to build on the excellent foundation she has laid to offer this important training and community to more families in Nashville.
Will you help us do these two things? A gift today in honor of Patricia will thank her for her faithful work in Nashville while also ensuring that Rejoice has the resources in place to continue and expand this important mission.
We want to thank you for every gift you’ve shared with Rejoice over the years and ask that you support us again during this important transition.
On behalf of the Rejoice Board of Directors